I have recently developed a bit of a dietary fixation on bread pudding, much as a toddler might eat nothing but Cheerios one week followed by nothing but Barbie shoes the next. I think unemployment brought it on; I was baking a lot, sometimes two or three complete projects in one day, and decided I was sick of cookies. I forget the exact thought process that brought me to bread pudding, but it was a flash of genius, because I’ve always loved it. Unfortunately, my mama and my mama’s mama have passed on, so I hadn’t been running into a whole lot of bread pudding. So finding myself with a lot of free time and suddenly remembering bread pudding!!! was a bit of an epiphany.
Dude, I practically live on the shit. I bake a bread pudding about every three days and usually give some to Ben, although I’m usually sorry I did afterward when I run out of bread pudding. The part of the pudding I don’t give away lies in state in the fridge, awaiting the hour for the midnight snack.
Last night I headed to the fridge in the small hours and suddenly remembered there wasn’t any bread pudding left. This is a lot like a junkie discovering he already finished that bindle after all, I’m betting. I paced around for a few minutes in a funk, determined to have bread pudding or starve to death where I stood.
And this is where the deus ex machina comes in, because isn’t the Internet a bit of that? I adore the Internet, research junkie that I am, because I can get the answer to any question in seconds anytime, anywhere. And any recipe. So I Googled instant bread pudding and came back with a nearly perfect recipe which took me 10 minutes to throw together and which was perfectly serviceable. And then I marched my satisfied ass to bed. And here is the tweaked version of the recipe. Don’t skimp on the vanilla. Trust me.
Microwave Bread Pudding
- 1 cup cubed bread, preferably sourdough or French (1-2 slices)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 half & half or cream (use milk only if there is no cream and you are absolutely jonesin’)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or you can skip this and use 3 TB of white sugar instead of 2)
- Chocolate or butterscotch chips if desired; cinnamon if you must; fruit at your peril
(1) Put the bread in a fairly shallow, single-serving, microwave-safe bowl.
(2) Whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and sugar. Pour over the bread in the bowl, stirring gently to combine.
(3) Stir in chocolate chips and/or other add-ins if any
(4) Microwave for 3 minutes, uncovered. The very center can look slightly wet, but it shouldn’t be liquid.
(5) Remove from the microwave. Unless you are a complete oaf, serve piping hot in a shallow bowl with half & half poured over top and/or whipped cream.
(6) Put that fucking cinnamon down. I can see that.